Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Digger purse

Eldest son has had a serious case of the I wants recently. I decided it is about time he learned the value of money. Since we're in the wrong era for shoving him up the nearest chimney to earn his daily bread, I thought he could at least budget his spending money. Well, he could if we gave him any.

So, we've entered the pocket money era - £1 each Saturday (plus bonuses from the tooth fairy). Is that stingy? I asked what he was planning to spend it on. He said bread. Swift chat about not having to be totally self sufficient on his income. Now he wants to buy Lego.

The problem (well, apart from only being able to add numbers under 10) is keeping his loot away from the thieving fingers of his little brother. That kid is better than a metal detector at finding cash. A purse of some kind seemed in order.


The digger motif was a special request from the prospective owner. Don't look too closely at it - it contains my first ever zip (put in without a zipper foot as my machine doesn't have one). The customer seemed pretty happy anyway - think he's looking for extra loot in there!

9 comments:

laura capello said...

I have no clue how much one euro equals to a dollar, but no -- that's not cheap at all. You gotta teach cheap. Then they'll be quiet about all the "I want"s.

And, yeah, we're going through that phase too. Griffin wants a dinosaur. He tells me about 52,374 times a day. I have it in the basement, but we have to figure out a way for him to EARN it since the next official gift-giving day is Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Funny! and a good idea.
And that is a cute purse/man bag.

Anna said...

Cute! I love the buttons for the tires/tracks, very clever.

Anonymous said...

oh, what a great post! you had me giggling! love the the bread answer :) and the coin purse. my husband would call it a "man's carry-all". think he got the saying from a seinfeld episode.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh - i so love it!
my son is seriously a digger fan - i must make something like this for him - plans have been in the works for a pillow for a LONG time, but this motivates me to actually DO something!

Kate said...

Love the purse, love the digger!

Anonymous said...

This is fab. I love the buttons for the ... the... oh it's Friday night and the brain has shut up shop for the evening. Anyway they look great.

karen

Strikkelise said...

Wow that's a cool purse. I someone wo would kill for one of those.

weirdbunny said...

We give our children one pound a week they are in primary school. My daughter just wants to buy sweets but my son always saves his. Great purse, they are always marketed at girls in the shops which is really annoying.