Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New names

It's so exciting when I discover a new-to-me blog that I can add to my obscene bloglines list, but even better is finding a totally new blogger. Especially one who makes lovely things like Nutnbunny. We met through the kids cooking swap a while back when Tasha didn't have a blog, but she does now. She was asking for some advice as to how to get 'in the loop' so I thought I'd direct a few friendly natives her way.

Converting non-blogging swap partners is becoming a bit of a crusade. So Sarah (vintage button swap partner), c'mon in, the water's lovely. I cannot believe this girl is procrastinating about starting hers. She writes beautifully, judging from the e-mails we've exchanged and her taste and skill .... well just look at just some of the contents of my swap package from her. Thank you so much.

I think she's suffering from blog-title stage fright. Know the feeling well - I approached mine in true Management Consultant style, with a flipchart and brainstorming session with Andy and little Mark (who provided some very insightful truths, in the way only children can).


Failed to come up with anything much. Then 'domesticali' came to me on a long car journey as a tongue in cheek homage to Nigella Lawson, self styled domestic goddess. I love that she has made it hip to be a housewife - hate that word, much prefer domestic goddess. So, care to share how your blog came to be named?

15 comments:

weirdbunny said...

Everyname I wanted for my blog had beeen taken my someone else which was really annoying!!

Megan said...

Aren't you a sweet little fairy godmother? We all needed an Ali when we started our blogs.

Usually I am hopeless with names, but Mercy Lane just came to me one day and it encapsulates (in my own mind at least, probably no-one elses - this is not an unusual situation in my life) so much of what I believe about life that it just felt good. I usually cringe when I name stuff, but this time I haven't felt the need to change.

Didn't know you were going to get chapter and verse, did you?

I came to visit you over your name the first time, if I remember rightly. It's very cool.

Strikkelise said...

My blog name came about in a hurry, I just suddenly started the blog one morning. I have never been completely happy with it, but now I've had if for 21 months so I suppose it stays. I remember wanting to have something with needles but the Norway part is, I don't know, kind of boring.

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to check out her blog. :-)

My blog name comes from the facts that we live in an old schoolhouse and we live on a farm.

Anonymous said...

You're sweet.
Every name I wanted was taken. I used colorfool when I was posting my scrap pages to Two Peas, so I just carried on with that one. Captivating tale, huh?

Paula Adams Perez said...

There is a Simon & Garfunkel song that starts out, "Momma Pajama rolled out of bed..." (funny, we just watched the DVD Maid in Manhattan and that was the opening song). Anyway, I am an early bird and I usually art/craft from 5 am until the guys get up, so I'm in my pjs!

beki said...

Oh boy, a new blog!
I'm not sure how I came up with my blog name. The "babe" part of my name is a definitel stretch, I think I was trying to humor myself.

laura capello said...

I started my blog in the height of Griffin's behavior problems, and I would always be saying, "Griffin! Inappropriate behavior!"

He couldn't say it that way, he always said, "no appropriate behavior" and that's how it all started.

(Well, that and inappropriate behavior was taken.)

nuttnbunny said...

Thanks for the plug! and the great advice. I adore this new community. So many inspirational people. Wondering about your "mgmt consulting" mention. I, too, exist in that world. :-) Hope Sarah finds her name.

Candlestring said...

I loved reading these comments from people about their blogs. Mine came also from something one of my kids said. Three boys make life interesting. No being squeamish allowed. It's kind of Dave Barry-esque.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've met a gal through my blog that should be joining up anytime now. I stressed and stressed about the name, didn't feel great about anyone's suggestions and finally went with one that everyone else thought was weird. Oh well. I've always thought Domesticali was a great name.

Anonymous said...

I just kept thinking that I wanted the blog to reflect the happy things in my life and couldn't think of anything else clever - so happythings it is.

blissful said...

Good question...The answer is nothing original. I've always loved the way it sounded and rolled off the tongue.

Unknown said...

I'm hopeless at thinking of names but was pleased to come up with mine and then a couple of weeks later a website appeared with a very similar name, ah well, good company I guess.

Your blog is lovely, great photographs.

The fabric of my life said...

Hi Ali, thanks for visiting my blog. My name came about because of the fact that I am a complete fabricaholic, for that there is no cure! A day doesn't go by without me dealing with fabric in some way or another *sigh* I've got it bad ;-)