Saturday, August 05, 2006

Indie book goodness

I went into a new local bookshop today to pick up a little something to include in a parcel for a blog friend. Coincidentally, the owner happened to mention that the bookshop had a blog and so when I got home I had a little look. Only it turned into a long look. I can't be the only person who has had idle fantasies about opening their own bookshop, but these guys are actually in the middle of doing it. The shop has only been open a month and they are blogging the experience. Its fascinating stuff - go and take a look.

The shop itself, Mostly Books is charming, a lovely selection of stock and a little courtyard out the back where you can have coffee. Now I realize in the States, this is no big thing, but book buying in the UK has only relatively recently become such a civilized affair. I remember visiting an indie bookshop in San Francisco about 12 years ago and being totally blown away by the experience. Home baked banana bread, coffee, reading group meetings and wonderful personal reviews by the staff on many of the books.

I love a bargain as much as the next person and it is hard to resist the lure of Amazon et al, but when visiting a bookshop becomes a life enriching experience, surely it's worth a few extra quid on the price of a book. Typing in an ISBN just can't compete with a real chat about what you're looking at with another book enthusiast. I'm resolving to go back soon and buy more - there was a Nigella Lawson biography which caught my eye...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got my package today! thank you thank you thank you! I am so blown away! I promise to send yours out this next week. And that bookstore looks so yummy, I could seriously get into trouble there!

Megan said...

Oh HEAVEN. Sounds like my kind of a shop. Call me next time, and I'll pop over and go with you..!!!

Joanna said...

Ahhh. The bookshop. Before kids one of our favorite dates was to go hang out at the book store. I can't remember the last time I did that.

laura capello said...

I love books, and horde them too.

Unfortunately, in the states the big powerhouses (barnes & noble and borders) are running the competition out -- it's really rather sad.

And, yes, I'm on that badwagon of people who'd love to own a little bookstore. Have a cafe area that sold only gluten-free goodies... there's gotta be a niche for that *somewhere*.

weirdbunny said...

We have a wonderful second hand bookshop in the town near wear I live, with a wonderful coffee machine. The owner katie welcomes you in with such a smile. How she makes a profit I'll never know as she never charges me full price!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a very neat shop and what a fun place to visit!

blissful said...

A perfect day is to browse away an afternoon in a book store -- thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

before child we used to have dates at the bookstore... much more exciting for me than for paul, i'm afraid. looks like your camera is getting a nice little workout-- lovely pics of your living room :)

Anastasia said...

what a darling bookstore!!!
who can resist stores like that!