Sunday, August 27, 2006

Halloween goodies

The charity craft fair that I'm doing in October is increasingly on my mind and I've been trying to get down to producing some stock for my stall. I flip between worrying about not having enough wares to sell and thinking that no-one will buy any of my stuff - neither prospect is particularly appealing.

But at least I can control the 'stock' question, so today I thought I'd hit the Halloween market. It is slowly but steadily catching on as a celebration in the UK and in the village where we live you can bet on a steady parade of small trick-or-treaters. The merchandising seems to be lagging behind though, so hopefully some of my bits will fill a niche.

Today was batty peg kits that people can buy to do as a kid friendly craft project at home.

And a little trick-or-treating bag with obligatory ghost.

Mark really likes this and I have promised he can have it if nobody buys it. This may have been a tactical error, as I can just picture him standing behind the table giving death stares to any prospective purchasers. In general though he's very keen on the whole craft fair idea and keeps producing drawings which he tells me I can sell - it's nice to have the support of your family!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, sweet Mark. Someone surely will buy that cute little bag...

(We are TOTAL and COMPLETE Halloween junkies. It is by far our favorite holiday!!)

em said...

I'm having a hard enough time getting my head around the fact that summer is nearly over! It would be really difficult for me to fastforward to the end of October :)

That is a really cute goodie bag. I'm sure it will be snapped right up.

Suse said...

Halloween merchandise isn't that big here either, although we get occasional trick or treaters turning up.

Thanks for dropping in at my blog. I loved your suggestion re the flickr group!

Anonymous said...

I think you'll have to make him another bag.

I posted about bats too today. Crazy.

beki said...

Oh, I love that! I need to start working on our Halloween "stuff". It's so fun decorating for Halloween!

Anonymous said...

Your little kits look all professional. I think craft fairs can be really fun, even if sales aren't what you hoped. The best part is chit-chatting with other crafters.

laura capello said...

Love the little tote! Someone will definately snag it, and then you'll be making a whole slew of them.

We love Halloween here too.

Anonymous said...

I have the distinct feeling that you'll sell that bag, fast. In fact, I think you need to make more! lol
When I was a teenager, I went to France as an exchange student and dressed up for Halloween to freak out my French friends. A fun holiday that I'm glad to see is spreading its wings.

caroline said...

yep, I agree with the others I think you are going to have to make more of those bags. I like the look of those bat kits too - a really good idea.

Looking forward to reading more of your craft fair ideas.

Soo said...

I don't think your halloween bag will last long, it's perfect for filling up with treats! Good luck with the stall!

Anonymous said...

Can you come to the U.S. and take over the marketing of Halloween here? Seriously. Your little bat craft and boo bag there are fabulous and worlds better, WORLDS, than anything we have going here. Most of what you find in this country is just a bunch of unnecessary plastic objects.