Monday, December 03, 2007

Holiday Traditions Exchange

As much as I would love to claim 'being super-organized' as one of my Holiday Traditions, I feel it might be stretching the truth somewhat.

But I did manage to get my parcel for the Holiday Traditions Exchange posted off to Eren today.

Recently, I watched a documentary series called ' The Mummy Diaries'. It followed 5 families, where mothers had been diagnosed with forms of incurable cancer. As they struggled to prepare their children for the loss of a parent, the women were encouraged to write a Mummy Manual, covering all the details of domestic trivia which would be useful to their families in the future.


As you can imagine, it was harrowing viewing, but it did bring home to me how truly important our little rituals are to out families and how special a Mother's role as their caretaker can be.

So Eren, I hope you don't mind, but when I sent off your parcel, I made a copy of our Christmas Traditions for here too. Because some of them are silly and may make you chuckle, but to us, they are priceless.

14 comments:

Meg McElwee said...

Eren looks like one lucky swapper! Can't wait to read about your traditions!

Anonymous said...

I am also looking forward to your traditions. One day I will be organized enough to even participate in the swap.

kirsten said...

oh, i don't think i could have watched that! but i was having similar thoughts - like would aaron know how to pack Thomas' backpack?

lovely package, and not at all silly.

French Knots said...

I didn't watch it as I knew it would make me cry.
Your packages look very festive!
French Knots

Anonymous said...

I can wait to read about your traditions, we don't really have any of our own. I was unable to watch The Mummy Diarys as it was distressing and so close to home.

tess said...

I didn't watch the mummy diaries either, and I so wish I had because so many people have talked about it,
I'd love to hear about your traditions, and your parcel looks fantastic.

Junie Moon said...

What a very lovely swap and including the traditions bit is extra special. Although I have not seen the movie, I did hear about it and thought myself what a great idea for every family.

Kitty said...

Our traditions are part of what makes us what we are - they aren't silly at all.

Lovely blog post. :-) x

pinkgreen said...

I couldn't watch the programme. I think family traditions are so important. My parents have quite strong ones and I am now trying to incorporate our own into those so I can keep some old ones but make it ours. I'll be interested to hear about yours too.
Cathy X

Lindy said...

lucky Eren!

Di said...

I didn't see the programmes but I heard about them and I think that passing on your Christmas traditions is a great idea!

Annie B said...

I watched one of the programs and surprisingly it didn't make me cry (too much!). I lost my mum to cancer when I was young and I must say that the practical things that those women were doing were fantastic. I would SO love to have notes from my mum and details of her traditions, thoughts and feelings. I plan to do it for my girls even though I plan to be around for a VERY long time to come (touch wood!) Not silly at all. We should all do it...

vintagechica said...

Of course we don't mind a bit, but I might just borrow your idea and do the same for myself (and the other women in our family) if you don't mind. A really great idea.

Looking forward to the swap...although I need to get my behind in gear!!!

Tonya said...

I too am participating in the swap...Thanks to you. I don't even remember how I came across your blog, but if it weren't for you, I never would have learned about the swap, met some new friends and found some new blogs to read. I tagged you in my blog, feel free to participate. No obligations of course.
Merry Christmas,
Tonya
http://mommywho.blogspot.com/2007/12/tag.html