Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Baby toes

Little feet will soon be pattering in the house next door and in my madness, I decided to throw my neighbour a baby shower. Don't take that wrong, she's lovely, our kids are similar ages, we have coffee frequently, she buys me bread and milk for when I return from a trip, she's the neighbour from heaven. But baby shower? These are not common in the UK. In fact, I have never been to a baby shower, so what possessed me?

A diaper cake. Yes, never before has the humble nappy set off such a chain of events. I was browsing the minimoopys on flickr when I came across this. I had to make one. That lead to invitations.

So then I needed a gift. Perfect excuse to try out the bitty bootie pattern. These little green numbers were my trial run. I'm not 100% happy with them, but they were fine for a first go and I've learned a lot from my mistakes with these. I still can't master blanket stitch though.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are just great! I have the bittie bootie pattern printed out and ready to tackle..some day!

Megan said...

Come and live next door to me, please?

Those bitty booties are lovely. I don't find the actual blanket stitch to be my problem, I just never know how to start and end it without it either coming undone or looking ugly.

Anonymous said...

I'm throwing a baby shower as well! And this is for a girl that I don't know that well. :o) I like baby showers. That diaper cake is very cute. I think you'll be glad you're doing this for your friend. I don't see anything wrong with the booties, but if you must make another pair, well then, okay.

Kate said...

I have to try the bitty bootie pattern. Yours look great.

Anonymous said...

I think they came out wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

The booties are CUTE! It must be the season for baby showers and baby shoes. I made a pair this week as well for a shower.

laura capello said...

The booties came out great! Can't wait to see your diaper cake.

Baby showers are fun, except they make my ovaries hurt for wanting more of the little guys.

Anonymous said...

I forget how to the blanket stitch in seconds after doing it and have to relearn it every time. Mental block!
You really made a diaper cake? Wow.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is a really thoughtful thing to do... I wish I had neighbours like that... at the moment the only things I get from mine are the **** of her cats!! And they put their house on the market 2 weeks after us at a lower price... but don't get me started...
Good luck for the party... are you going to do party games? Like 'guess your neighbours circumference?' 'guess the flavour of baby food?'. A bit American, but good fun!

lera said...

the booties look cute! i've gathered my materials to make some, too. i'm just afraid to start! (and i've been wanting to make a few moopies. pattern is cut, just waiting for me to make it!)

Anastasia said...

baby showers arent common in Australia eithero - I have my first this Sunday.
Dont know what to expect - do we play games like at kitchen tea parties or just sit, eat & talk about birthing labour stories? have fun!!

Anonymous said...

They turned out cute!
And a diaper cake will be adorable. You sound like a very good neighbour. I'm sure she will feel super special to have a friend like you.