Sunday, May 21, 2006

Spectrum quilt

I'd bet serious money that I'm not the only person who spent a large portion of primary school re-arranging pencils in her pencil case to make a pleasing rainbow effect. Colours - just made for playing.

I used to be a subscriber to a quilting supplies catalogue. This was before the days of on-line ordering and the shop would send out fabric samples every 6 months, about the size of postage stamps. To place an order, you stapled the sample to the order form and specified the amount you required.

I have a lot of these little postage stamp sized squares from back-catalogues, and the hoarder in me never allowed them to be thrown away. When I saw the 'colour' theme on Whiplash they began to call to me " Use us, use us....." So out they came and I played with them on the floor for a while before inspiration struck.

Little 9 patch squares, loosely themed around a colour - so here is the pieced top. Yes, I know it's not a totally finished item, but I'm not the bionic woman you know. I quilt by hand and it'll take a while to be completed. I'm just so gratified by finding a use for those itty bitty bits that have been hanging around.


Whiplash has been a real incentive for me to try something that I wouldn't otherwise have done - thank you.


whipup

8 comments:

julie said...

Wow, really nice - looks like a lot of work!

Anonymous said...

Wow, have you just made that! I am very much in awe - how beautiful.

Anonymous said...

cool quilt - isn't it the best feeling when you use something you couldn't bear to throw away? it's total validation.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! Color play is so fun! I love what you did with them.

Anonymous said...

incentive is an amazing motivator, isnt' it!?

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! That is very pretty!

Lindsey said...

Just found your site and your quilt is BEAUTIFUL!! I just started last year making quilts. It's fun and time consuming!

weirdbunny said...

Fab quilt!!!!!