Monday, April 30, 2007

Spuds

We tried out a new restaurant on Saturday night, but I have no idea if the food was any good, because we didn't get to eat any. We were still waiting at the bar at 9pm (and yes, we had a reservation) and when I politely asked how much longer our table was going to be, they told me the folks sitting at it were still eating their main course. I wanted dinner, not a midnight snack. Needless to say, we won't be going back.

If you want good food when you're expecting it, perhaps the message is make it yourself.

So on Sunday I did - Roast Chicken with Sweet Potato Gratin. Salivating yet? You should be!

Take some sweet potatoes.

Peel them

Cut into very thin slices (2mm). I used the Magimix, but a mandolin or sharp knife and steady hand would work too.

Toss in a big bowl with 2 finely chopped shallots (or failing that, a small onion), a couple of cloves of garlic (finely chopped), a teaspoon of ground cumin (toasted and ground my own - the iron pestle and mortar was a wedding present a billion years ago and I still adore it), and some chilli sauce. I use Harissa, but whatever you have is fine.

Pour on some double cream ( or half milk half cream if you're not feeling that sinful). For 2 potatoes you probably need around 350 ml of liquid. More for more folks. Mix around, then layer into a buttered baking dish, seasoning between layers. Bake at about 140 degrees for around 90 mins. If you cook it too hot, you run the risk of splitting the cream. If the top browns too fast, cover the dish with a piece of foil.

Forgot to take a picture of it going into the oven, or indeed coming out, so all I have to show you is leftovers.

But it is really really good.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

*drool* *slobber*

Kate said...

Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Flibbertygibbet said...

Salivating? Yes, all over the keyboard.

ljm said...

That looks so good, I can't wait to try it...and I even picked up two sweet potatoes today!

laura capello said...

mmmmmmmm ::drool::

Tamara said...

mmm mmm... wish is was dinner time now. we might try it tonight. i will definately add it to my recipe pile. thanks

Angel Jem said...

Yummy scrummy! It looks good.... post the leftovers this way!

julie said...

Who needs restaurant food when you can create something that looks so delicious? Thanks for the yummy recipie.

Mark Thornton said...

So where's the offending restaurant - give us a hint!

Anonymous said...

yum!

Anonymous said...

that sounds delicious. YOu really are good.

and now I'm ready for lunch.

Berber said...

It looks delicious! I would love to try that some time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy - might give it a try!

Anonymous said...

that sound dee-lish.. now that egg sandwich I ate just didn't do it for me.

Joanna said...

That looks divine. Don't know what harissa is, but we do have chili sauce. Thanks for the recipe. I'm putting sweet potatoes on my shopping list.

Anonymous said...

so here I am waiting for my tacos to cook and I thought, yes the kids are happy, I'm going to jump on my computer and have a quick blog look. That meal looks so yummy... I WANT THAT instead of what we are having. Oh, I should have gone grocery shopping today.

anyway, it's dinner time here...exciting as it is!

Anonymous said...

Yum - I need to try this one!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

Yummy, I love sweet potatoes, I shall be having a try of this sometime SOON.
Suzie Sews