Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tweedy pie



Look who flew into my shopping bag today! I like to add a couple of new ornaments to my collection each year, and this little robin called to me. I was in town with no kids this morning, so I had the chance to go into a tiny shop named Eben Lark. Usually I daren't venture in there with a pram and grubby fingered boys, so I console myself with lusting through the window.


The owner is such a lovely woman and I felt good about supporting a local craftsperson. She was also very patient as I evangelized about getting herself a web-presence (it's the ex-management consultant in me, can't help spotting a missed opportunity).


I also stopped by Mostly Books (the bookshop with the blog, remember?) to pick up my next book group read. The last one was Beyond Black by Hillary Mantel. But that's NOT a recommendation - I hated it and am looking forward to savaging it next Wednesday. The next one seems much better, I'll let you know - need to settle down with my Mocha and enjoy it.

And thank you for all the kind Maths advice yesterday. It's one of those things which brings out strong feelings in many of us, it seems.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving that heart ornament. I am thinking of making something similar for pressies. Now I just need to invent a machine that turns thinking into doing...

caroline said...

I love the ornaments, especially the little rob-rob-robin. And yay! for being able to browse in peace and quiet.

Completely agree with you about the Hiilary Mantel book - I read it as part of a reading group a few months ago and I hated it but then so did everyone else.

Anonymous said...

that bird is so cute! ah, going into a little shop w/o little fingers... what would that be like....

Anonymous said...

Those are such sweet ornaments! love~

Anonymous said...

Cute little Robin and lovely heart and (like the mastercard advert says) going shopping without the kids, priceless!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, I'm looking forward for a nip out tomorrow morning, I can feel a latte calling out to me!

laura capello said...

lovely new ornanaments.

let's deconstruct the birdie and do a tutorial. mkay?

Anonymous said...

Lovely new ornaments and how supportive of you to encourage the owner further. Look forward to hearing what your new book is we have just started Saving fish from drowning. So far so good.

Anonymous said...

Love that Robin! Need that Robin! I have a thing about them, after being exiled to Spain for a lot of my life they always seem so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali - I too am not getting on well with Beyond Black. I'll see you next Wednesday at the bookgroup and join in your savaging!

Mark Thornton said...

Let's hope someone likes it next Wednesday. Nic's working in the shop tonight, so if junior goes to bed like a little angel (hey, there's always a first time) I'm going to give it a big push to finish.

I can kind of see where it might go, and I'm hoping she pulls off a brilliant twist, but I'm not hopeful...

nicbiccie said...

Oh, I love love that little birdie - so sweet! And I'm totally with you re supporting local craftspeople!

Anonymous said...

The shop you are talking about has closed down, I'm so upset, I too love all her designs. But soon she will have a website to order from. I will miss her greatly.