Thursday, November 23, 2006

Aaaaah - what a relief

Nearly two weeks without a blogging fix, and I think hubby has finally managed to sort out our computer. I missed you all, but I must admit, the enforced break was strangely liberating too. Eeek, does this mean I need to be re-thinking my blogging time allocation?

While we were away I scooped some irresistible cookware items - the snowflake cutter got it's first outing tonight with some puff pastry snowflakes. My boys are puff pastry addicts. In fact, I don't think I have ever met a child who doesn't like it. We don't even need to make a pie, they're happy to have it cut into shapes, brushed with milk and baked. Easy peasy.

The cake stand has yet to be christened, but it's my friend Sarah's birthday this weekend so you never know. I'll let you peek at her present too, but no telling OK?




It's a galvanized bucket, filled with goodies for the perfect fireside experience. A couple of logs in the bottom, some bundled kindling (ribbons obligatory), pine cones scented with cinnamon oil, herb bundles for burning and some fancy pants matches for lighting.




I read somewhere that pine cones are nature's own firelighters, being packed with resin which burns very hot. With some cinnamon essential oil, they smell incredible. The herb bundles are thyme, rosemary and bay, all from our garden and bound with stripy string. Yes, THE stripy string - do you think its sacrilege to consign some of it to be burned? I'm viewing it as a sacrifice at the altar of the Gods of Good Packaging.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you celebrators over the pond, may your turkeys be tender.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love everything - the cake stand, the snowflake cutter, the idea for the puff pastry and the birthday gift - what a lovely idea! Nice to have you back

Soo said...

welcome back Ali! Wonderful gift idea and love your cake stand!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back.

When I lived in a house that warranted a fire place, I would save mandarin peels. These make great little fire starters too. Anything with a good amount of oil in it should work. You need a few for a crackling effect.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Ali!!

Anonymous said...

welcome back!!

great present... there's nothing as wonderful as a nice fire.

Anonymous said...

HI Ali!
The cake stand is beautiful and I love the fireside gift. So pretty.

Anonymous said...

That bucket for the fire looks too good to burn, but I might have to fill one to look at. Lovely cake stand.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely present - that string is so pretty tied around the herbs and I can just imagine the wonderful scents coming off of the fire - very seasonal.

Anonymous said...

Burning the coveted string! Oh my. Got my little section of it and I'm gonna horde it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Never in a million years would I have thought of the fire starters gift! It looks SO good.

bubamaca said...

the fireside gift is such a brilliant idea!

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean about the break - blogging is addictive!

Anonymous said...

the fireside experience bucket is an awesome idea. i think anyone would love one of those!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog - I so enjoyed having a read and love that cake stand - could you tell me where you got it!!!? Please.