Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lotta fun

So many times, I buy great craft books - read and love them and then utterly fail to make any projects from them. I was in danger of doing that with Amy Butler's In Stitches, when along came the In Stitches sew along group at Flickr.

Every month Finny and Africankelli choose a pattern from the book and folks post their examples of it to the pool. I really like seeing everyone's versions of the same item and there are usually lots of helpful tips on the pattern flying around too. It also motivated me to finish my Lounge Pants.

But look what I've gone and purchased now, and I'm not the only one.

So now I need to justify it, and what better way, than with a Flickr group of it's own.
And sewing a project to put in said Flickr Group.




A picnic placemat, made using an Ikea heavy cotton print. The reverse is the opposite colourway of the same print. But I think using twill tape for the ties may have been a mistake because it creases like crazy.

So if you fancy joining in the Lotta fun, please pop over to Flickr and join. I've never set up or moderated a group before - it's fly by the seat of your pants stuff!

17 comments:

nuttnbunny said...

You are a sewing maniac. First that heavenly bag, now this. You've inspired to head back to a looming Unfinished Object - my big beatiful bag...

Anonymous said...

i have that book on hold at the library! can't wait to see it.

Joanna said...

I love the placemat. And the fabric. I wish our IKEA sold fabric...

Anonymous said...

Hello :) I just found your blog and I'm happy of it ! Your creations are soooo amazing ! I also added you to my flickr contact :) Tons of smooches from Belgium ! Sandrine alias didine http://www.flickr.com/photos/legrenierdedidine/

Anonymous said...

you're on fire lately... what kind of stuff are you taking? send me some because i'm feeling flat as a pancake.

Lovely mat. I've got THE book too. The fabric shes uses are soooo divine.

A home sewn, recycled,vintage life said...

The placemat is FAB! Send me some of your energy for sewing!

Anonymous said...

Uh oh - I feel a purchase coming on..Love the placemat - looks great with that fabric...How do you find the time?

Jane
x

Katie Jean said...

great idea! I love the projects in this book!

Anonymous said...

i'm heading over right now!

Rebecca said...

Well done on setting up the flickr group - now I just have to buy the book....

Anonymous said...

Oooh I didn't realise that was your group - great idea.

I keep coming across that book and have been slightly put off by a couple of patterns being too large - I would never be able to adjust them myself. I'll keep an eye on the group and see if any of the things inspire me.......I'm sure they will!

Angel Jem said...

Love the idea.... but how do I sign up?
And I love the black-white look! What could you have used apart from tape that wouldn't crease? I mean, ribbon or material ties would crease.... I suppose a thin cord wouldn't, but then you'd have the problem of fraying... or a thin leather thong. No, Ali, this is Saturday morning, and I usually don't think... don't make me think...

little special said...

yet another reason to get my hands on a copy of this book - i'm off to check out the flickr group pool!

happy sewing! xx

Silvana said...

Lovely blog - and great book recommendation. Want to get my old sewing machine out of the basement now! Nice to see your post of my chicken palm pies a few months ago...

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to be good not spending superfluous money, and there you tempting me with such lovely things. Thank god for libraries.

supa said...

great placemat! And great group, too! I've been browsing it the last couple days as I worked on my tote.

Now I'm feeling like making an Ikea trip!

Anonymous said...

The book looks like a lot of fun! I can't wait to see all the pictures in the flickr group!

I wish we had a Ikea near us, you guys always have things to drool over.